Girls Lacrosse Moves on to Next Round of Playoffs

1 min read

Photo credits to Alison Poirier

On Wednesday, the girls lacrosse team earned an easy 15-4 win against the Monte Vista Christian Mustangs in the first round of CCS playoffs. 

Dekshenieks tries to get around defender

The M-A offense got rolling early in the game, scoring four goals in the opening minutes of the game. The goals started big nights for senior Amelia Poirier, sophomore Lexi Nelson, and freshman Sabine Polly. 

After two more goals from junior Shea Dekshinieks, the Bears led 6-0 just halfway through the first half. Goals from Nelson and junior Charlotte Fisher quickly followed. 

M-A’s defense also contributed to their  dominance as senior goalkeeper Ishy Mishra saved a penalty attempt with 10 minutes left in the half. Mishra had a brilliant performance on the day, making multiple difficult shots throughout the game to maintain the Bears’ lead.

Monte Vista finally got on the board with seven minutes left, but the Bears quickly responded with a goal from sophomore Ruby Pence. Despite the Mustangs scoring a second goal before the half, Dekshinieks also scored her third goal of the game, making the score 10-2 at halftime. 

The momentum didn’t stop in the second half for M-A, with Dekshenieks and senior Phoebe Gerhard both scoring early goals in the half. Despite being up 13-2, the Bears attackers continued to hunt and score three more goals before the end of the game. Poirier capped off her night with two brilliant solo goals, and Polly got her second goal of the night to put the game fully out of the Mustangs’ reach. 

Mishra watches and directs her teammates

Two late goals from Monte Vista were not even close to enough to mount a comeback, allowing M-A to pass the ball around for the last few minutes, sealing their ticket to the next round of the playoffs. 

After the game, Poirier said, “The next round will definitely be tough but we are ready for the fight. We really showed up today, but I am just happy to be on the field with teammates for another game.”

Nelson also added, “The biggest thing was that we all knew it would be our last home game ever with this group so we had to go all out, and some people getting their first goals got everyone very excited.”

The Bears will travel to San Francisco to play the Saint Ignatius Wildcats tomorrow afternoon.

Chase is a senior and in his third year of journalism. Chase is a sports editor and loves writing about sports events and music. In his free time, he plays soccer and hangs out with friends.

Latest from Blog